Saturday, January 4, 2014

Honeycomb Grid for Backlighting

I traded in an umbrella for a set of Paul C Buff's honeycomb grids and got my first chance to try them out today, on a few adoptable dogs from Animal Rescue R Us.



I used the 20 degree grid, and buying all four was a bit much.  I have a feeling once I find the grid I like best, I'll rarely change it up.  One thing I needed to be careful of was blowing out the backlighting by making the front main light too bright.



It worked best when the dog was up on a table so I could position the main soft box very close to the dog (as in the first photo).  An issue with dog photography is that many of the light stands are too tall, while I'd like them closer to the ground.  At some point I'll have to invest in a platform or riser.

I also played around with using the grid to light the subject for a drama shot:



Fun items, will have to keep playing around with them!

0 comments

Post a Comment